Wednesday, February 9, 2011

WEEK 5 EOC: BEST AND WORST SUPERBOWL COMMERCIALS

What did you think of the Superbowl commercials this year? I frankly thought they were horrible. The Superbowl is the biggest stage for advertising but this year the advertising felt flat. In past years I typically would wait for the game to come back on before taking a bathroom break. This year though, I found myself taking a break during the actual commercials. I’m thinking the pressure of presenting the best commercial idea to a record number of viewers is really getting to the advertisers. The worst commercial I saw this year was the commercial for Doritos where the dog was running towards the Dorito. I’m not sure what Doritos were trying to accomplish here? The Doritos ad was part of the Doritos Crash the Superbowl contest. This contest picks the top commercial submissions from amateur filmmakers. As a filmmaker myself I was a little embarrassed it was picked. I see where they were coming from to be funny but it just didn’t make me laugh. They could have come up with a more original idea than the guy taunting the dog with a chip. How long could it have taken for this individual to come up with this concept? Maybe I’m just looking at it from a filmmaker’s perspective. I think I should partially be sensitive to the fact that it may have reached out to children, but then again do they want to buy the Doritos or the dog? The one commercial that did stand out was the Darth Vader Volkswagen commercial. This commercial was excellent. I felt they did a great job because the commercial was geared towards everyone. It reached out to kids and adults. They did a great job building up the suspense of what the advertisement was going to be. The idea of using the kid dressed up as Darth Vader failing at using the force and then having the child succeed really pulls on people’s heart strings. The effectiveness of pulling on the heart strings allows Volkswagen to build an emotional bond with their customers.






No comments:

Post a Comment