Wednesday, January 26, 2011

WEEK 3 EOC:MY DEMOGRAPHICS

Demography is the study of human populations in terms of size, density, location, age, gender, race, occupation, and other statistics. A change in demographics means a change in markets. My demographic is the Generation X demographic. We are considered to be a generation born between 1965 and 1976. The characteristics of the Generation X population are they are less materialistic, they prize experience not acquisition, they tend to research a product before they buy it, they prefer quality over quantity and they tend to be less receptive to marketing pitches. Generation Xers are the most educated to date and possess hefty annual purchase power. Most are behind in saving for retirement and they worry about it.

I myself fit perfectly into this demographic. I’m definitely not materialistic. I don’t judge a person just because of the car they drive or the type of clothes they wear. I do however like to possess the latest technology but only because it will help me in my future with film. I really love to gain as much experience as possible in the field that I’m working in at the time. I’m always researching before I buy. I’m constantly looking on the internet and at the Sunday ads for the best deals for what I’m looking for. I want to have a quality product that will last a long time rather than having to buy multiple of the same item. I’m definitely less receptive to marketing pitches and I do not like to hear a salesman yapping in my ear when I’m trying to buy a product. I feel I’m well educated and I’m really stressed about having enough money for retirement. I actually always feel like I didn’t start saving for retirement soon enough. I think that the description of the demographic of Generation X fits me perfectly.  The quote below explains Generation Xers:
"Century 21 found that Realtors were answering e-mail inquiries about homes within an average of 24 hours. Buyers from Generation X won't wait that long. They want immediate replies."

~ Kay Schlosser http://www.quotesea.com/quotes/with/generation-x





No comments:

Post a Comment