Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What is greed?

Greed-an excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves. I feel that greed is a really strong word, but how do we truly define greed. Is it really greedy of a corporation that has been bailed out by the government to give bonuses out to their employees? I feel that it is not. It may be greedy if they were trying to gain this money excessively, but they are not. This is money that the employees have earned. Why should they be punished because there company made a mistake and is now requesting assistance from a higher power. I don’t feel that the money they earned should be taken away from them. Some people may disagree with my opinion, but that’s exactly what it is an opinion. Don’t take this the wrong way but how can I feel greedy if I want to make money to support myself and my family.

Greed in a case such as the movie Wall Street where Geico decides to take advantage of a company for his own personal wealth is another story. There is a point where you must step in and ask yourself is this moral. He was going in and picking apart a company to make money for his own personal gain without thinking about all of the lives he could affect in the process.
These two examples depict how greed can be good and bad. Greed can be good when it is used correctly and bad when it is placed in the wrong hands.

If I could make a whack doll of any one person it would be a whack a boss doll. There are just some bosses out there that should not be in the position there in. My boss in particular is one of them. He comes from a sales background and my job that I’m in is not all about sales. There is a lot more to it. When he addresses us it is always in a sales context and it drives me insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment